Monday, June 30, 2008

Short Post on Music

What I've been listening to recently:

Tegan and Sara, The Con
I feel most albums have their single, which is usually pretty good but sometimes a less adventurous "throwaway song" that's only solid, and then some sort of hidden gem which really comes together which makes me listen to the album over and over again. In the case of The Con though, I can't stop listening to the title track which is fantastic. The rest of the album is good, but not amazing (except for possibly the song "Nineteen"), and there are a few songs that irk me a little, making me pull out my iPod and hit the next track button; overall, I feel like I have to listen to more Tegan and Sara because to me it feels like Tegan and Sara are a great band, but maybe really shined a few albums ago.

YMCK, Family Genesis
Well really, I've been listening to all three albums of theirs, but Family Genesis the most. And I have to say I pretty much love every non-filler song (and hell, even the 1 minute interludes are actually pretty damn cool). I feel if Katamari Damacy was made for Nintendo, then this band would be the soundtrack for the game. And well, since 8-bit electronica is pretty cool, and Katamari music is amazing I have to say I'm enjoying the whole experience. Their earlier stuff certainly has the "Scat Jazz" influence that many Katamari tracks have, and while that's present in Family Genesis that album also is a bit richer than just 8-bit noises and : the sound is more layered, there's more going on, and it's overall the most sophisticated of their albums. "Starlight" is one of my personal favorites on there, although "Major Swing", "Pleiades", and "Rain" are also great.

Hunter Valentine, The Impatient Romantic
This band is off to a solid start; it's energetic, catchy, and just a lot of fun. I don't care if they don't have huge crazy walls of noise like Broken Social Scene, the country twang of Rilo Kiley, the sweeping orchestral beauty of The Delgados, or the electronic dance influence of Shiny Toy Guns because what they are doing now they are doing extremely well, which is making Canadian Indie Music that rocks. And if you ever see them in concert in a seedy little New York Bar for $10 (like I did), then you're in for a treat: they are tight, energetic, and are already a great live band; I can't wait until they get big in the States so I can see them at Lupo's or some large venue in Boston. "Staten Island Dream Tour" and "Van City" are my picks from this album.

What I want to listen to now:
Urbangarde. But I don't wanna put down $20+ to order the CD from Japan ;_;

No comments: